What documents do I need to begin the application process for a new passport?
To apply for a new passport, you’ll need the following (You can only apply for a new passport if you have less than 1 year validity left on your passport):
A duly filled application form
- For security purposes, passport forms are no longer available on the website for download.
- Kindly email the Embassy (email@example.com) for an application form to be mailed to you. Kindly include name and physical mailing address. We do not send the forms by email.
- Certified copy of the information page of the passport. If the passport was lost/stolen, the applicant must fill out the Declaration of Lost Document form and attach a Police Affidavit.
- Attach a colored 2” x 2” photograph (white background, shoulders square to camera, both ears visible, no visible shadow, no head gear, no uniform, no smile, no eyeglasses, no earrings for men, no eyebrow/chin/ nose rings for all applicants, requirements as per International Standards).
- Certified copy of a Namibian Birth Certificate
- Certified copy of a Namibian Identity Document (both sides of the ID). The Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration stopped processing passport applications for applicants who never had Namibian IDs. This was done in a bid to encourage such applicants to acquire Namibian IDs. Affected applicants will need to come home and apply for IDs in order for their passport applications to be considered.
- Certified copy of Namibian Citizenship Certificate (if applicant was born outside Namibia)
- Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (If applying to change to married name, applicant must also apply to change their name on the Namibian ID. The form can be requested from the Namibian Embassy)
- Certified Copy of Divorce Certified for those who wish to revert back to their maiden name
- For Minors under 16: Certified Copy of parent’s Namibian ID and any child over 13 must sign their own application.
- Application Fee of US$28.00 for regular processing or US$62.00 for lost/damaged unexpired passport. We only accept money order or certified check from the bank, no personal checks.
- A self-addressed, pre-paid envelope from DHL, FEDEX or United States Postal Service only with tracking. Receipt of payment for the envelope must be attached. Please do NOT send UPS envelopes.
– The Ministry of Home Affairs will not process application forms without a Namibian Birth Certificate or Namibian Citizenship Certificate if not born in Namibia. If you are not able to produce a Birth Certificate, you must first apply for a duplicate Birth Certificate before applying for the Namibian passport.
– If the applicant needs to change to their married name, the names on the application and the signature must be written with married names. Also, the Ministry does not hyphenate last names.
– The Commissioner of Oaths must be filled out by a Notary Public not by the applicant; however the “Sign Here Also” part must be signed by the applicant in the presence of the Notary Public.
– All documents must be certified within the last 6 months of submission.
What do I do with the completed documents?
Once you have all the required documents, please place them in one envelope and mail them to the following address:
The Embassy of the Republic of Namibia in Washington, DC
Attn: Consular Section
1605 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20009
How long does it take?
In general the process for a new passport ranges from 2 – 4 months. However, the speed at which your papers will be processed depends greatly on your ability to furnish the Embassy with all the proper documents. It is always recommended that you send your application material far in advance of when your need them and that you make copies of your records before sending them through the mail.